Knowing the importance of grease trap will help you realize about the task and will push you to do the regular check-up and maintaining. Grease trap are installed both to houses and to commercial building. This is because it helps regulates the flow of your sink drainage. Grease traps obviously trap the grease and solid food waste (or sometimes called leftovers), that will tend to clog your drainage. It is like a storage place, where it allows the grease to float to the top of the water and sink down the waste food. This leaves the water alone to freely exit to the general sewage system.
If you have a business especially when it is about foods, the tendency is you have lots of plates and other kitchen utensils to wash. The more utensils you wash, the more grease will likely to go in your grease trap and thus, it creates grease build-up on the inside. If you don’t perform grease trap cleaning, the water traffic will become slow. It will soon cause overflowing or pipe leakage.
Cleaning ones grease trap can be a hassle. It is also time-consuming and messy, especially when you are almost done. You have to dispose the wastes properly and then clean up any scattered drops of the grease that are spilled from your floor. To add more, you will become uncomfortable in due process because of the slimy and oily (not to mention filthy) smell. But, no matter how you hate such job, you need to do it because it will cause problems not only in your home, or building, but also to the common waste water sewage system in your local place. In this article, I will guide you on how to clean a small above-ground grease trap, which can basically hold 40 to 50 gallon of water.
Because it is above-ground, it is more convenient to clean. So before starting, clear out the things that may distract your work. Prepare also the necessary things so that your work will be fluent, fast, and less tiring. This includes a huge trash can and plastic bags, tools to remove the hinges and other grease trap components, and tools you need to remove the grease and solid foods.
Start working. Follow the steps below.
- Open and remove the grease trap’s lid.
- Do not forget on where to locate the parts once you take them off. It is much better to observe and memorize it, because at the end of your task, you need to put it back according to its original position.
- Scoop out the grease, fats, and any waste foods. Get rid of it totally and make sure you must not use soap or degreasers as well as hot water to grease cleaner’s internal part.
- Clean out the walls and the lids also. Leave no single spot unclean.
- If there are any broken parts, call a maintenance expert if you cannot handle it. Replace the part if necessary. Check the gasket if it is okay. Do not use a silicon-made gasket as a replacement.
- If there is no problem, just reassemble the parts together and properly.
- Put away the grease you collected in the trash can, which is covered by a plastic bag. Tie the bag so that it will not spill while you are on your way to dispose them totally.
- Put on some absorbent cloth to dry it up.
Cleanliness and sanitation are important to every business, particularly to those who are in food trend. Thus, without proper cleaning, your business will not be effective enough to serve pleasant foods. Proper cleaning does not only imply like keeping your area clean and putting on clean clothes, but also a clean grease trap as well.