The first 12 hours of my trip to NY...
* Drive to airport with friend who's putting mother in law with dementia on plane to meet unwilling children in Hawaii and move in with them.
* Catch my flight. Land to switch planes in Chicago. Learn of east coast earth quake, largest in 100 years.
* Connecting fight brings me to Albany and the immediate news of a coming hurricane due to hit entire eastern seaboard
* Text message arrives, friend who's set to pick me up at Albany airport had heart attack, is not coming
* Text message arrives: friend who I am due to stay with in Brooklyn's mother had stroke, wont be returning from Washington to host me
* Text message arrives: other friend who I am due to stay with in Brooklyn is being evacuated due to hurricane
* I remember that the last time I left NYC for an extended period I returned just a few hours before the twin towers blew up
* Made mental note: hold on!
To be continued. . .